Mr. Scruffy’s News for You!
Each Tuesday, Mr. Scruffy’s News will try to make an appearance to share with you the news he has learned about since the last post. This news may not be recent in the sense that it is just breaking, but it may be new to you. Its purpose is to highlight the fact that as life and things change, they stay the same. We, Mr. Scruffy and I, hope you enjoy these little bits of news, sayings, and tidbits. And, if you feel so inclined, share some tidbit you encounter or think others would enjoy reading. We welcome your thoughts and comments. Write On!
Tuesday, January 03, 2017 – News. Sayings. Tidbits.
- I love to be read to late in the evening. Do you? Pam was reading in the 2017 Old Farmer’s Almanac and came across these lovely tidbits of information:
a. A sleep study from Hong Kong Shue Yan University said that if you sleep in multiple positions (I do), the position you wake up in is the strongest influence of the types of dreams you may have…whether pleasant or not. (Need to check my nest for keeping my head to the left!).
b. Austrian scientists have determined that people who prefer bitter tastes, such as that of black coffee have a tendency toward Machiavellianism, psychopathy, narcissism, and every day meanness. (Hmmmm– I take stevia and cream. Whew!)
- Each holiday, Pam purchases Olde English Crackers (some people call them poppers – also available here). They are the funny looking twisted tubes that when pulled, Crack or Pop loud and hold tiny gifts and surprises. She popped one on Christmas Day. The proverb inside read: Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. (I agree).
- The Annuals of Time: Nothing is as interesting as reading history when you aren’t preparing for a test on the subject. During school, I was a wise, old owl, but I also failed horribly any test that required reciting dates, times, and places. This little list of important events that happened on this date are interesting.
a. Saturday, January 3, 1920 was the birthday of Pam’s Dad. He would be 97 today, if he had lived. He was a tall, lanky gentleman who could be a true friend, but also was the consummate curmudgeon. He is missed.
b. The year of 212 saw every freeborn subject of the Roman Empire receive Roman citizenship – “Civis Romans sum!”
c. January 3, 1496 – saw Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully test a flying machine. (My, I could have told him how to do it.)
- Music Candy: In the year 980 a.d., a 400-pipe organ was successfully installed at the Winchester Monastery, England. (Shhh! I was there. It was majestic).
- Eye Candy: Nothing is as majestic as to see a bird (in particular, an owl) soar in the air. How about this bird? Snowstorm. This is a flying machine to watch as its inventors work to perfect it.
- Writing Candy: For those of you who like to create. Here is a book you may want as a reference. Pam says that it is full of great ideas, prompts, and ways to get you to be your creative self – WonderBook by Jeff Vandermeer.
- Reading Candy: I differ to the WonderBook above. It is a good book to read. Pam has read it to me, too. The pictures are works of art.
- Stuff: Literature, writing, reading, and genre stories are a staple of my life, thanks to Pam creating me in her latest novel she is writing. But, writing in all its forms has been around a long time. Records depict early Sumerian writing, done on clay tablets are shown with pictographic signs as early as 4,000 to 3501 B.C.C. That’s before my time. Read more about them and learn how what is new is old again. Wait! Reverse that!
Well, folks! That is all for now. Hope you’ve enjoyed our little time together! Leave your comments and plan to come back and visit. Pam’s off to work on tax preparations for last year’s work. I’m going to sit here and cheer her on. I’m at your service…
Mr. Scruffy’s News was first published on January 3, 2017 by Pam B. Newberry.
4 thoughts on “Mr. Scruffy’s News 01-03-17”
Great blog, Mr. Scruffy! Pam has taught you well.
Hello, Debbie! Thank you so much for your kind words. It is a treat to meet you. Pam has told me about you and other friends from ALHS days! Come back and visit me. I’ll be back next Tuesday with more to share. Have a glorious week! Mr. Scruffy (Shhhh…I’m helping Pam write her new book.) Woot! Woot!
NICE JOB snow on Mr. Scruffy is neat
Thanks, Voodoo Brown! Hahahaha! You’re a hoot!
Comments are closed.